International applicants are warmly welcomed at Kansas City Art Institute. We have a globally diverse community representing many countries, with students recently coming to us from Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, England, Germany, Japan, Mexico, South Korea and Turkey.
The application fee for fall will be waived if you submit your application on or before February 1 if you are a first year student or March 1 if you are a transfer student.
Your personal statement is a way for our Admissions Committee to get to know you. It should be as authentic as you are!
In approximately 500 words give us thoughtful insight into who you are as an artist, student, and individual. Tell us about your background in art, your artistic goals, and your career goals!
We require 10-15 images of recent work that demonstrates both your technical and conceptual strengths.
All applicants must submit official high school/secondary school and college transcripts. Certified English translations of transcripts should be provided for transcripts that are in a language other than English, through a foreign credential evaluation agency such as IERF or WES. They may be sent to KCAI in one of the following ways:
- Mailed from each school or foreign credential evaluation agency to KCAI, Attn: Admissions, 4415 Warwick Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64111
- Electronically sent through Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, and SCOIR to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Uploaded from each school into the Common App
- Emailed from each school to email@example.com
Demonstration of English Proficiency
International students whose primary/native language is not English are required to submit official test results with the recommended minimum scores from one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT: 79 (KCAI's school code is 6330)
- IELTS: 6.0
- PTE: 53
- Duolingo: 105
The English proficiency test may be waived by meeting one of the following:
- Official SAT test result with a recommended minimum score of 950
- Official ACT test result with a recommended minimum score of 20
- Official documentation of successful completion of at least 24 non-ESL credit hours from a regionally accredited U.S. institution
- Official documentation of successful completion of at least three years from a regionally accredited U.S institution
- Letter from applicant’s international high school/secondary school or college confirming that English is the principal language of instruction
Letter of Recommendation
Submitting a letter of recommendation is optional but is strongly recommended for all applicants, except in select circumstances. They are helpful in getting to know you within an educational setting. We strongly encourage you to pick a teacher who can speak to things like your work ethic, art making abilities, and personal character.
Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Credit
If you have completed Advanced Placement Examinations (AP) or the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, you may apply those credits to KCAI.
F-1 Student Visas
Formally admitted students will be required to submit additional information to apply for an F-1 student visa or to transfer their current student visa.