Be well in all that you do
KCAI offers activities and resources that encourage a balanced lifestyle. This includes both on and off-campus opportunities that promote physical, mental, and spiritual wellness, and most of them are free!
From extracurricular campus activities to local physical and mental health resources, students can find information about all of this and more in the Campus Policies and Student Resources tabs on MyKCAI.
KCAI provides FREE, confidential on and off-campus counseling services for students.
On-campus, services are provided by our psychologist, doctoral, and/or master’s degree level counseling students. Services include therapy only, not medication management. We recommend that students with more acute mental health needs, diagnoses, medication management seek off-campus resources that provide year-round/ongoing medication management. On-campus services are available during the fall and spring semesters and are assigned on a first-come-first-served basis.
KCAI students have access to Teladoc.* Services are available through secure video or phone and include:
- Mental Health – Access to licensed therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, or other behavioral health specialists from home or school. Services are 100% confidential and unlimited visits are included in your plan.
- Telemedicine (medical) – Access to a network of doctors who can diagnose, treat, and prescribe medication for you, 24/7. Medication is an additional cost, but at a discounted rate.
- myStrength – Access to flexible and comprehensive digital programs with proven tools and dedicated support for stress, depression, sleep, and more.
*Teladoc is available to students who have paid the KCAI health and wellness fee and is available for 12 months (August through July 31). Students who are under the age of 18 are not able to access Teladoc.
If you are currently working with a counselor/psychiatrist in your hometown, we encourage you to continue your sessions or look into Kansas City resources. Also, we recommend setting up appointments with your hometown provider in advance for college breaks. Appointments for psychiatrists in the Kansas City area can be on a 6-10 week wait time. Start the process early! Your insurance company can provide you with a list of providers they cover in the area while you are a student at KCAI.
Request an on-campus counseling appointment:
- Log in to your MyKCAI account (my.kcai.edu).
- Click on the Student Resources tab in the top line.
- Click on Mental Health and Medical Services in the box on the left-hand side.
- Instructions for accessing Teledoc services are on the right-hand column
For emergencies, please call campus security at 816-931-6666, call 911, or go to the nearest emergency room.