Where in the world are you?
Regardless of where you live, we hope you will consider spending a semester here at KCAI. If you attend one of our exchange partner schools, please contact your home institution’s exchange officer, as listed below.
Pictured: International exchange student from the National College of Art and Design (Dublin, Ireland), Daniela Spinella, shops for cactus in a local Kansas City grocery store.
KCAI partner schools
KCAI currently has formal exchange agreements with the following schools:
University of Tasmania, Hobart
Marnie Slaghuis, study abroad and exchange co-ordinator
Paris College of Art
Carolina Spielmann, visiting student program coordinator
University of West Hungary, International Ceramic Studio
Kormos Emese, art secretary
The National College of Art and Design
Berna Scanlan, international unit/LLP Erasmus
Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design
Sarit Morad, exchange programs coordinator
Osaka University of the Arts
Ryo Hisano, chief, division of international affairs
Sarah Gauthier, liaison advisor
Universidad de Castilla – La Mancha
Vidal Gamonal, international relations officer
Bilkent University – Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture
Aysegul Basol, coordinator, Office of International Exchange Programs
In order to be considered for exchange, you should submit the required documentation to your school’s exchange officer no later than 15 March for a fall semester exchange (August through December) or 15 October for a spring semester exchange (January through May).
Pictured: May Castelnuovo, international exchange student from Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem, Israel, takes time out from her studies at KCAI to try on holiday hats in KCAI's Art Supply Store.
Applying for exchange
In order to apply to spend a semester or year at KCAI on exchange, you will need to submit a complete exchange application packet to your home school’s exchange officer listed above. Please note, your home school may require additional application requirements from you.
To apply to participate in the exchange program, submit the following application requirements to your home school’s exchange officer, who will forward them to KCAI on your behalf:
- KCAI International Exchange Application.
- Download the exchange application.
- Transcripts/mark sheets. Unofficial transcripts/mark sheets are acceptable for admission as an exchange student.
- Two letters of recommendation written by the same recommenders who complete the reference letter forms for your application.
- Portfolio of work with 15 to 20 images or comparable footage uploaded to Flickr or a comparable online site. Provide the link to your online portfolio in your statement of purpose.
- One- to two-page statement of purpose written in English and thoughtfully considering your academic, personal and/or career goals for wishing to attend KCAI on exchange.
- Photocopy of the biographical page of your passport. If you do not have a passport, you will need to apply for one as soon as possible, as you may not participate in the exchange program without one.
- Proof of financial support. You can be accepted as an exchange student prior to submitting proof of financial support, but you will not receive the immigration forms you need in order to apply for a student visa until you have submitted the appropriate proof of financial support. Download more information on the Proof of Financial Support and the Affidavit of Support.
After your application for exchange has been reviewed by KCAI, you will be contacted by the international studies office to inform you as to whether or not you have been accepted into the exchange program.