International Exchange (Incoming Students)
International Exchange Program for Non-KCAI Students
International applicants are warmly welcomed at Kansas City Art Institute. We have a globally diverse community representing many countries, with students recently coming to us from Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, England, Germany, Japan, Mexico, and South Korea.
NOTE: This page is for individuals that want to attend KCAI for an exchange semester. To view information regarding International Exchange for KCAI students, please visit Off-Campus Studies International Exchange for KCAI students.
Start Your Application
First set up a personal KCAI account, then you can begin filing out your application and submit it with your application fee.
We also accept students from our international exchange partners for 1-2 semesters. If you are currently a college student at one of our exchange partner schools, please click here to start your application process.
- Submit your online application and fee.
- Submit your portfolio.
- Statement of purpose.
- Official transcripts from high schools and colleges attended.
- Transcripts from any colleges or universities attended outside of the US must be sent to a recognized foreign credential evaluator for a course-by-course evaluation prior to being sent to KCAI.
- Standardized test scores: ACT or SAT (TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants).
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or other arts professional.
Please refer to our international applicant checklist for more detailed information, as well as further documentation required in order for KCAI to issue an I-20 to accepted international applicants.
Admission Dates + Deadlines
Exchange Semester Application Deadline
Spring Late January – Mid-May *November 1
Fall Late August – Mid-December *April 1
For additional support, please contact our Registars office.
* All new students are required to pay a $250 tuition deposit to hold their space and enroll in classes. This deposit is applied to your total tuition and is refundable prior to May 1 for fall or Jan. 15 for spring. After May 1 or Jan. 15, the tuition deposit is forfeited if you choose not to enroll.